Monday, June 16, 2008

Willie Is Still With Us - Who Else Will Be?

There was an email I received from a colleague today and the story was such that ownership of the Mets gave Omar Minaya the carte blanche to jettison some of the coaches on Willie's staff. Does this bode for a turnaround? I don't think so, but to my gut instinct, the word scapegoat comes to the fore. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/06/16/mets.coaches/

What I am trying to figure out is why Rick Down was fired. Sure, he wasn't a superstar player, but a man who understood the mechanics of the swing and could quickly analyze and fine tune a players swing. The end result was an elevation of their ability.

A caller on WFAN the other day had an interesting point. Since Rick Peterson may be on the hook for the middle relief implosion, why not hire Leo Mazzone. He did wonders with the Braves. (Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Avery etc...). But that same colleague is opposed and said there is a Braves-Mets stigma. Maybe, but I rather have Leo Mazzone in my circle of friends.

Oprah had her makeovers, we need a Coach-over. (and a few other players may benefit with different zip codes)

No comments: