Today's game was a washout (I probably used that line before in a post), but the good news is that Reyes' bat came alive, 2 solo HRs. One thing that has been missing from Jose this year is the coveted triple. Though he has 5, and ESPN projects 17, they seem to be few and far between.
- Just a side note, it seems to me, save for the bonehead play where he got picked off, Hanley Ramirez 2008 is Jose Reyes 2007. On the board, making great plays, offensively and defensively. Jose needs to step it up a notch to recapture that else he will be the next Rey Ordonez. (So many Mets shortstops were billed as the next greatest. I am still awaiting Rafael Santana to walk on water).
- One thing that surprised the hell (yes, I can say Hell, its my blog) Aaron Heilman pitched and didn't allow any runs and just 1 hit in 2 innings.
- Sad News - Geremi Gonzalez, a Met who pitched in three games died in his native country of Venezuela after he was struck by lightning. R.I.P. Geremi, you are one of us Mets for eternity. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080526/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_obit_geremi_gonzalez
- Perhaps with all the turmoil going on, former Mets manager of the mid to late 1960s, Wes Westrum once said, "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand."
- One interesting stat, no Met ever hit three home runs in a game at Shea.
- This Sunday, June 1, I will be doing a "double header" - riding 45 miles in the am for a bike rally, then showering (of course!) and getting to Shea to see Johan Santana pitch.