Tuesday, April 22, 2008

If I Knew Then What I Know Now --- OR, Glad We Didn't Get Barry Zito

As I look back over the last few posts, I realized they all had a connection through pitching. As much as a fan of baseball that I am, for some reason, I don't relate well to the pitching aspect. I always took more of an offensive approach. (Maybe because when I played, it was either OF or 1B...Only when desperate, did a team put me in to pitch...

Anyway, during the winter of 2006, all the talk was on the Mets getting Barry Zito. I chided a good friend and co-worker that he wasn't worth the $ - and he liked to rib me by saying that his team, the Giants, were a better fit. And, I think they are. With Zito's 0-4 record (as I am writing this, he is ahead by a run over the Diamondbacks - http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=280422129 ) the Mets fans would have ran him out of town a la Ed Whitson. Just imagine, Mike Pelfrey, a home-grown Met was being ridiculed late last year with his 0-and-something record.

Zito will come around, and his back class will support him, but we were smart to wait it out and land Santana.

Other notes...been a bit upset that the Mets lost 3 in a row -- especially two to the Cubs. I don't know what is wrong with Delgado, but he should be righted soon.

Well, I'll be back tomorrow, so stay tuned...I welcome any and all comments and...See you at the BallPark.

No comments: