Tuesday, August 29, 2006

It's a Rainy Day - How About a Random Met? It's All in a Name, But not Really - In This Case

Weather outside is crappy, and once you read the stats of the player selected today, you will see how Karma works.

I enlisted a good friend of mine, (DMP) to select the random Met today. He followed my custom, proprietary algorithm and in the process came up with Billy Baldwin: http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/baldwbi01.shtml

Now, there is an actor with the same name, and I am guessing, that the actor probably is a better ballplayer than our aforementioned Met was.

I don't remember this Billy at all, but he only played 9 games for the Mets and had 1 roundtripper. (That's 1 more than I have).

The interesting thing was after doing a little digging, was he was part of the Godawful Rusty Staub for Mickey Lolich trade. You know, when I think back about that trade (December 12, 1975: Traded by the Detroit Tigers with Mickey Lolich to the New York Mets for Rusty Staub and Bill Laxton. ) it still pains me. I like to use illogical rationality and say that Billy came over for Rusty and Mickey was traded for Bill Laxton.

Staub for Lolich outright is like trading a grand orange for a case of lard.

God bless ya Billy, wherever you are these days. You have DMP to thank for immortalizing you on this Mets definitive blog.

1 comment:

The Teeth of the Green Monster said...

Interesting...I think this may be a rare case where Billy Baldwin (baseball player) probably acts better than Billy Baldwin (actor) and Billy Baldwin (actor) plays better ball than Billy Baldwin (baseball player). Maybe they were switched at birth. Maybe Destiny got confused and switched their career paths. Who knows? All I know is that it's not easy being Billy Baldwin (baseball player). Whenever he gets introduced I'm sure the conversation goes a little like this,
"Hi I'm Billy Baldwin"
"Wow really. The actor?! Your Alec's brother?"
"Ummm no I'm Billy Baldwin the baseball player, I played with the Mets.."
"Oh..riiight...must have missed that...ummm..So are you related to Alec?"


Yeah I'm feeling for my man Billy...