Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Special Thanks to A Good Friend (even Though He IS a Yankee Fan!

OK crew. Back after a few days. A few nice wins in the process. I hope you all enjoy counting Mets "W's" - it's the next best thing to counting $.

So, my phone rings late on Friday night about 9:45 give or take and it happens to be a good friend of mine, "JS" who I used to work with. "JS" and I get along very well, but we are opposites in many ways, most notably, he being a diehard Yankees fan, and me being a diehard Mets fan. Bottom line - we both LOVE baseball.

JS has an extra ticket for Sunday's game - Jewish Heritage Day at Shea. Of which JS is, and I am not. He reveals to me the seats that he has are in left field. Unfortunately, I had to decline as my child has been sick. Anyway, I share with JS that while the seats sound good, the place to be is in right field with newly acquired Met, Shawn Green. We both get a chuckle out of this.

Well, my point here in this blog entry is to thank JS for his thoughts and that we surely will be seeing each other in a World Series soon.

Oh, and get ready to count 4 Ws for then.

***Footnote - the game was rained out, so when JS does make that trip to Shea, I can see him slowly walking around to the other end of the stadium to doff his cap to Shawn Green.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I was thrilled to finally return to Shea Stadium since the year 2000, the purple fruit bowl just outside of LGA, I was dripping, soaking wet by the crying and wyning of thousands of Mets fans
that were rudely shoed away by Mother nature...

Was there a weather report before the game? At least they could have called the game at 2:00 knowing that I was coming to this game with fairly good intentions. I haven't walked through gate B in a long time...

Yes, the UltiMETFan1969 and I are good buds and I was hoping to sneak some crude yiddish ism's towards Endy Chavez since I was only 5 rows off field level with my paper airplanes and signs of wisdom aimed toward Met players... Still, I allowed my dry Yankees shirt to replace a hapless other shirt as I walked toward the Kosher hot dog stand and ordered a knish I said was compliments of the Jewish Heritage Day fans to Mr. Green... but they could only sell to patrons not players...anyhow, I didn't get to see a game, I didn't even get to see Mr. Green. What I did see was 40 thousand of what looked like shul kids singing the tune of hava taquila since there wasn't anything else had today...

Ok, a little pissed I didn't get to see a game -- they announced an unannounced rain make up game Monday at 12 noon where you can subtract 40 thousand fans and TV viewing audiences... to something unprofessional of the Mets organization (even though Wilpon is Jewish) the least they could do was schedule a nightcap....

OK, I would have loved to see a game today win or lose - not even a slip and slide game -- where's Valentine and Robin Ventura? And other hapless old mets from rainy days? No antics? the ground crew were beginning to look positive -- then the guy wearing a yellow raincoat finally got off the stool he was perched on and at that moment we all knew it was time to leave the ballpark and listed to all the dissapointed fans who wanted to squeeze in a sunday afternoon game..

O-well, no chance you'll be seeing me in Queens for a while -- at least unless there's a subway series going on.

Tickets for sale - 2 for a buck - better yet tell the folks who don't give refunds at Shea for unexpected makeup games if there's going to be anything unexpected later this year -- piffel!

The good news is that this distraction must have caused the Angels to let up a bit for a rookie pitcher - I got home just before Mariano got to the mound...