Saturday, August 09, 2008

Some Candid Insight from a Pitcher I Was Not Too Fond Of...

Listening to the radio today on WFAN, and John Franco was on. Now, for those who know me, I am not a fan of his as a pitcher and thought he was way overrated. Blew too many easy games too.

In any sense, he waxed philosophical and candid about the 2008 Mets. He stated the team does not have a true leader, a stand up guy who can rally everyone and spark the team. He thinks David Wright could be the one, but at 25, may be too young and won't have the respect of older players. Franco, I agree.

Another point he made...

I am paraphrasing his quote, but it was along the lines of, "I don't think the Mets show up to play hard every day. You would think that after what happened last year, they would be consistently hungry. Against teams with bad records like the Astros and Padres, they come in with a mighty attitude and they aren't dominating, so they play a less casual game."

Franco, you may not have hit the strike zone from 60'6" at the right time, but this is an accurate call.

And, another thing, the schedule coming up is soft. After the Marlins series, 8 games against the Pirates and the Nationals...Lord help me if they go worse than 7-1.

No comments: