Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Philosophical Interlude - Why Jerry Seinfeld's View on Shirts Is Like The Playoffs and World Series


For all the laughing we did watching Seinfeld, years later it moves me to a famous quote he said in an early episode. To me, it relates to the playoffs and the World Series.

Take a read:

"The second button literally makes or breaks the shirt. Look at it. It's too high. It's in no-man's land. You look like you live with your mother."



Notice how he emphasized "second" - which brings me to my point.

In any of these series, the second game is the most important for a psychological edge. Let's say Team A wins Game 1...the series, naturally is 1-0. Second game comes around again, they win. They are up 2-0. Nice cushion but it still can be beat. However, it takes a team twice as hard to comeback to even the series.

The Mets have to remember this to play the entire series well. Its underrated, but I think against the grain sometime. So, Willie, you gotta put your best pitcher out there on Game 2.

And, for the team that loses 0-2, they are in no-man's land. They may as well live with their mother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good analogy..I love Seinfeld...I still enjoy the show even though I've watched them all.

Big game tonight, if there's no rain.

I am worried about Suppan and Carpenter -- Mets don't have a SP like the latter. Let's hope we can get quality starts from our trio...and I am very worried about Oliver Perez...he has talent but he's not ready for the postseason..I would rather have Mike Pelrey up there.