Sunday, April 18, 2010

20 Innings - The Mets Showed A Lot of Balls

In one of the strangest Mets games I have witnessed in years, the 20 inning shindig had me at the edge of my seat.  I wish I had the time to watch from first to last pitch, but a few things were done while multitasking.  Box Score: http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=300417124

In any event, who would have surmised the Mets would have been able to hold off Albert Pujols and friends by throwing 18 donuts on the scoreboard.  Usually, something prevails and one team is able to take advantage of it.

For sure, I thought it would get wacky when a relief pitcher came up with bases loaded.  As a Mets fan, we are prone to some interesting scenarios.  This is one we did not want to bear witness.

Kudos to Jerry Manuel for managing a good game.  When your bench gets short, you have to be smart.  I think bringing Pelfrey in was an edge over LaRussa's edict that a starter would not relieve.  Then again, the Mets should have walloped a few balls that position players (Lopez) was tossing in the strike zone (or near it).

This win gave the team a lot of confidence - and for the fans too.  As I write, the Mets are leading 3-0 in the Sunday night game.  Let's Go Mets!

No comments: