Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pedro Martinez - and, an EXCITING World Baseball Classic Game - Netherlands Upsets the Dominican Republic

I have seen many great baseball games, baseball moments and events - in person and on TV. Tonight, I witnessed one of the biggest upsets ever in International baseball - The under appreciated Netherlands doggedly beat the rock solid Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic. Not once - TWICE. But tonight it really counted.

As you know, this is a Mets blog, so the point here is that I saw Pedro Martinez pitch in relief, and to these eyes (YES, my contact lenses were in) he looked good. Got two innings under the belt and seemed to have his control in order.

Prior to watching him pitch tonight, I was resigned to letting him go his own way. But, with the news of the Mets releasing Duaner Sanchez (TAXI!!!!!!), I think the Metropolitans should offer Pedro a contract to come back as a middle reliever to pitch the 6th and 7th innings, hand the ball to Putz and then to K-Rod.

Pedro can be the Phoenix rising from the ashes. I would rather see him get a chance this year and do well, than to do well for another team - regardless of the league.

OK..each day gets closer to opening day. I can't wait.

And for you box score junkies (self included) here is the one from the Netherlands upset victory:
http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2009_03_10_domint_nedint_1

No comments: